Hi! My name is Iain van der Wiel, 35 years old and I live in Oosterhout, The Netherlands.
Husband of Margot, father of Esmée and buddy of our labrador Luna.
My core principles
- Semantic HTML - Use the right HTML elements for the right purpose
- Accessibility - The web should be usable by anyone, anywhere
- Extensibility - Easily extendable code is great to work with
- Code quality - Express complex problems in clear and simple code
- Performance - People love fast websites and apps
- Diversity - Equal opportunities for everyone, remove obstacles that impose boundaries
- Collaboration - Work together to achieve goals, make use of each other's experience
- Mentoring and coaching - Stimulate growth in people by motivation
- Move fast - Quick increments give results and feedback sooner
Senior frontend engineer and consultant at Frontmen in Eindhoven, from November 2018 until present. Worked for the following clients:
PortXchange in Rotterdam - from July 2019 until present.
Continued development of main Pronto application for optimising ship port calls in various ports around the world. Large focus on data clarity and quality, presenting a lot of valuable information to a large user base. Expanded several existing features and developed entirely new features in a large code base.
Did a complete redevelopment of the UI of the Vessel Planner application to improve UX, accessibility and code quality. Wrote an integration test suite to improve upon an untested code base, covering the most crucial parts of the application. This brought the code coverage to ~60% in the first iteration.
Also did maintenance and development on several assisting tools and applications for both internal and external use.
Stack: TypeScript, fp-ts, React, Redux, React Router, Jest, React Testing Library, Enzyme, Heroku, Auth0, CircleCI, Netlify, Trello
VONQ in Rotterdam - from November 2018 until July 2019.
Continued development of a React application where companies can order job marketing campaigns and view campaign analytics to track (potential) candidates viewing their vacancies.
Started as the only frontender as their two previous frontend developers left in quick succession shortly before I started. Helped VONQ with selecting and interviewing candidates to rebuild their frontend development team. Onboarded, coached and mentored the new hires to get up to speed quickly.
Stack: React, Redux, React Router, Recharts, Webpack, Jest, Enzyme, Docker, Jenkins, Jira
Senior frontend developer at E-sites in Breda, from March 2013 until October 2018.
Worked on websites and applications for smaller and larger clients with greatly varying requirements per project.
Took the lead in improving and automating a lot of the developer workflow. Organized periodic frontend meetings to discuss projects, improve collaboration and share knowledge. Gave several trainings and presented at several meetups on various topics.
Coached and mentored several interns. Showed them the ropes in the world of frontend development, team processes and collaboration. Also coached them in areas of frontend development that interested them the most.
Stack: PHP, Symfony, Twig, React, Redux, React Router, Gatsby, GraphQL, Jest, Mocha, Chai, Istanbul, Angular.js, jQuery, Jenkins, Jira
Frontend developer at Estate (now We Are You) in Tilburg, from March 2011 until February 2013
Stack: ASP.Net, Sitecore, Sitefinity, jQuery
Web developer and designer at Tirato (now NoBears) in Drunen, from August 2008 until February 2011
Stack: PHP, Silverstripe, WordPress, jQuery
Print and web designer at Reach Strategische Communicatie, from February 2008 until August 2008
Languages, tools, libraries and frameworks
I consider myself to be (very) familiar with:
- Functional programming
- Unit/integration/end-to-end testing
- React and its ecosystem
- Jest, React Testing Library, Enzyme
- Twig, Handlebars and Mustache template engines
- Jira, Trello
To some extent, I have experience in the following:
- PHP 5.6/7
- Symfony PHP framework
- Kunstmaan, Symfony-based CMS
- Silverstripe CMS
Courses and trainings
- CSS Grid course by Wes Bos
- ES6.io course by Wes Bos
- Learn Node course by Wes Bos
- Scrum Master Essentials training by Agile Works
- Workshop ES2015+ from Fronteers
- React for beginners course by Wes Bos
- Effective communication by MXF Bedrijfspsychologie
- MBO Multimedia and Design at ROC Zoomvliet College Roosendaal, from 2004 to 2007. Acquired diploma.
- HBO ICT at Hogeschool 's Hertogenbosch, from 2003 to 2004.
- HBO ICT at Hogeschool Breda, from 2002 to 2003.
- HAVO Natuur & Techniek at KSE Etten-Leur, from 1997 to 2002